Thursday, June 21, 2007

Portland Day 4: Taking Time to Smell the Roses

Day 4 in Portland involved some local outings. We initially headed for Powells, but then realized we should use the morning for the local gardens, including the Japanese Botanical Gardens and the International Rose Test Gardens. Oregon is, as you may not know, the Rose State. There's an annual Rose Festival in early June (we missed the 100th anniversary by one week) at which a Rose Queen is crowned at the time of the year when the roses are peak.

The Japanese Botanical Gardens, which boasted to be "authentic", -- and for unclear reasons required us to be cautious -- were very pretty. The irises, just about the only piece of color in the whole gardens, were unfortunately not blooming yet, though the bridges, streams, and neatly trimmed greenery were lovely.

I cannot say enough about the International Rose Test Gardens. They were GORGEOUS. There was every color, every fragrance, and every shape was included. Wes and I spent more than an hour just walking up and down aisles of roses exclaiming over them all. Even the neighboring tennis courts' fencing was covered in roses (middle left). And it's not just the gardens. There are roses of this quality and color all over the state. We saw them everywhere. I think I could go to these gardens every day they're in bloom and never become bored. This is a must-see if you ever visit Portland in the summer months. It's enough, by itself, to make me want to move there.

After our morning of flowers, Wes and I went to a wine shop downtown that carried wines from Oregon wineries and did a tasting of Pinot Noirs. We enjoyed almost all we tried and ended up bringing a bottle home with us. We really wanted to visit more of the local wineries and brewpups, but as neither of us drives after even one drink, it made it hard. Plus, our focus seemed to be on enjoying more vigorous aspects of nature rather than hedonistic. Perhaps otherwise in the future. After that it was 2 hours (yes, that long) at Powells for lots of book perusing (we walked from the wine shop, where we'd only had 1-1 1/2 glasses at most, giving us up to 2 or more hours to wear off the effects before driving) before dinner at the elegant Chart House. Billed as one of the best restaurants in Portland, the Chart House overlooks the city, as well as (on clear days) views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Saint Helens. We enjoyed lobster bisque, more snapper covered with crab meat for me and some fish I can't remember for Wes, and the restaurant's famous hot chocolate lava cake for dessert. The meal didn't supercede some I've had in Chicago, but it was good and our one expensive meal while away.

I, unfortunately, totally overate as my fish meal was quite large and spend the evening trying to make my distended belly shrink up. It was, needless to say, a full day (hah!).
Posted by Picasa

No comments: