Friday, January 11, 2013

My grown-up Christmas list

Christmas has been over for a few weeks, and I never got around to making my Christmas wish list.  The season was busy this year and seemed to go by too quickly.  I was really looking forward to the holiday, but then life seemed to take it over.  In early December, we found out that Zola was legally ours, and the process to bring her to her new home continued.  It took me until the middle of the month for me to finish my schoolwork, and then the first week after I was done, we were hurriedly putting our house on the market.  The following weeks were filled with inspections, negotiations, and a short trip to my parents' house to visit them, my sister, and my nephew.

So what would I have asked for on my list?  A girl who in the last six weeks got a new minivan (yes!), a contract on a house, and the promise of a baby girl, coming home in a few weeks?  I would have asked for more giving, all year long, and not the kind that so often comes at Christmastime.

I wish that people would be more generous with each other all year, and give less stuff at Christmas.

I wish that people would think harder about what others need and really want, and less about what is on sale.

I wish that people would think harder about who really needs, and what they might have to give them.

I wish that people would spend more time and energy on caring for each other and less money giving things to each other.

We are trying in our house to keep the tangible gifts to a minimum, in part to manage kids' expectations but also to keep them focused on the joy that is part of the every day, for that is a gift that keeps on giving.

No comments: